Security issues and data loss often feature frequently in the news with even some of the most high profile businesses encountering security breaches. This has a significant impact on both customers and employees, not only the company name. Since these high profile cases of data loss many businesses including small and medium enterprises are looking to review or even implement for the very first time data loss prevention policies.
What is Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
Most enterprises have clearly defined policies when it comes to data protection, but enforcing these policies at the end user level is difficult.
Data loss prevention (DLP) is not a simple tool or solution, but an approach that applies technology to enforce your data protection policies and mitigate the risk of lost data.
Using a combination of methods including data classification, permission management, data ownership and website security, we can provide data loss prevention solutions that offer complete peace of mind and full end user accountability.
Varonis is one of our leading suppliers in the provision of data loss prevention and offer a range of products suitable to address all data security requirements. Deciding which software to use ultimately depends on your business and the way in which solutions are to be deployed within the existing infrastructure. One of the main solutions that Varonis can help your business is through its DataPrivilege solution addresses issues surrounding data entitlement management and seamlessly manages automation of access authorisation, entitlement reviews, policy enforcement and compliance reporting.
The key benefits of this software includes;
- Ability to provide data owners with comprehensive recommendations relating to access removal
- Seamless access control workflows granting users access requests to specific data sets
- Consistent implementation of business policies
- Accessible self service data governance portal for users and data owners
- Clear and concise audit trail
Boldon James are another leading provider of data loss prevention systems which can be implemented to strengthen your existing data security policies and procedures. Whereas Varonis focuses on establishing permissions, Boldon James look instead at the documents themselves with a range of solutions to classify particular sets of documents including emails, Notes, Office, SharePoint and CAD to name a few.
One of the areas where data loss often occurs is through emails, whether they are accessed by a third party during transit or they are mistakenly sent to the wrong individual. Boldon James email classifier ensures that this doesn’t occur. This solution puts labelling at the forefront of data loss prevention strategies by allowing users the ability to apply labels to emails within Microsoft Office and integrate these into the metadata of the email message.
Key Benefits of Classification Software;
- Strictly enforces information assurance procedures and policies
- Increases end user awareness of the data they are handling
- Boosts the effectiveness of wider data loss prevention policies
- Implements consistency and strict controls for unstructured and fragmented data disseminated across the network
- Seamlessly safeguards even the most sensitive content
- Allows system managers to view user behaviour and how documents are being used
- Very low implementation and ongoing management costs
Whichever solution you opt for, they are all effective ways of both strengthening your data loss prevention policies and working in the background to ensure that the requirements of these policies are not only applied consistently for all users but are strictly enforced, significantly reducing or even eliminating all of your data loss concerns.