Varonis IDU Classification Framework
A single terabyte of data usually contains about 50,000 folders; many are likely to contain files that might be considered sensitive. Data classification technology promises to help find sensitive files, but finding them is just the beginning. Then, the really difficult challenges arise:
- Who has access to them?
- Who is using them?
- Who owns them?
- Where are they most at risk?
- Which ones are stale?
- Policy Enforcement: How can we make sure data owners and end users adhere to organizational policies?
The Varonis Solution
Part of the Varonis Data Governance Suite, the Varonis IDU Classification Framework addresses these challenges by providing visibility into the content of data across file systems and SharePoint sites, and then integrating it into the Varonis Metadata Framework™. Classification information is then presented in the DatAdvantage interface, enabling actionable intelligence for data governance, including a prioritized list of those folders with the most exposed permissions AND containing the most sensitive data, who has access to that data, who is using it, who owns it, and how to effectively limit access without disrupting business processes.
The Varonis IDU Classification Framework gives organizations visibility into the content of data, providing intelligence on where sensitive data resides across its file systems. By integrating file classification information – from either the included classification engine or from a third-party classification product – alongside the rest of the Varonis metadata in the DatAdvantage interface, IDU Classification Framework enables actionable intelligence for data governance, including a prioritized report of those folders with the most exposed permissions AND containing the most sensitive data. The benefits include:
- Actionable intelligence helps organizations see where their most sensitive data is over-exposed
- Extensible Architecture allows using either the Varonis classification engine or data from third-party DLP products
- True incremental scanning through DatAdvantage’s real-time knowledge of all file creations and modifications
- Easy, powerful classification rules through keywords, regular expression matches, or dictionary search
- Algorithmic verification, such as IBAN, Luhn, and Verhoeff, helps ensure accurate classification results